Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Disney Wonder Cruise.... Fish Extender Part #1

We are going on a Disney Cruise! Okay, it is not until next January 2014, but it is never to early to get started on preparing. Not when you are me, anyway. So, this is a post about the Fish Extender or FE that I am making. 

What in the world is a Fish Extender and why on earth would I want to make one? Yes, I asked myself that as well, but a quick consult with my friends Google & Pinterest gave me everything I needed to know and inspiration to get started. 


See the photo below? That is a photo of the fish beside the door of the cabin on each room on the ship. It is used as a message hook of sorts.  A fish extender is simply a hanging pocket, bag, or organizer that can be placed over the hook.  



Why would you want to do this? So you can exchange little gifts with other cruisers! It is easy to find other people who will be sailing on your cruise by CLICKING HERE .  The photo above would be a FE at it's most basic and if you are not crafty you can order one from etsy or ebay.  Check out these from etsy by gradysmommy.  I have not ordered from her but she comes highly recommended by other cruisers. 

  1. Cute right? Just Click Here to check out more at her shop.


So now you know about that Fish stuff, lets get on with mine.  First of all, I want to make mine. Second, I am cheap.  Third, I can sew but I try not to.   I am going to show you my unembellished and unfinished FE in this post. I plan to finish it when my Silhouette Cameo arrives.   So here is what I found to make it with! 


Cute little tote bags from the Dollar Tree! $1 each.


First Step: Cutting them up. I cut the straps off all but one. I left enough of the strap to glue under on the front to avoid fraying. I used the straps on the back to HOT GLUE (because it is awesome!) the back of the bags together... like this....
Had to pull the first one apart and re do it because the bags were not even on the front. 
Here is how is what I have so far....

Not bad! I did end up cutting some cardboard to fit into the bottom of the bags to make it a little more sturdy.  I do plan to add some sort of topper that will have our family name on it and some cure personalized images and our names. Just waiting on my silhouette cameo to arrive.
Oh, yeah. I have not actually ordered it yet, but I will. Soon.

Check back for the finished product! Oh, and let me just mention that so far this has cost me $4. 
(I did mention I can be cheap, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment